Indian Motorcycle, America’s first motorcycle company founded in 1901, announced in March its new ultra-premium Bagger, the 2018 Chieftain Elite. This Limited-Edition Bagger pairs custom-inspired paint that’s completed by hand with top-of-the-line amenities for the rider who demands the best of the best.
Indian Motorcycle meticulously thought through the design to ensure every line, texture and material complemented the contours of this aggressive platform. The focal point of this Bagger is the stunning, specialty paint featuring high-flake Black Hills Silver. As the name suggests, this paint was inspired by the silver mines in the Black Hills of South Dakota, which is near Indian Motorcycle’s custom paint facility in Spearfish, SD.
A team of Indian Motorcycle experts masked the bodywork, lay the graphics, and hand-spray each Chieftain Elite. Each bike takes nearly 25 hours due to the time-intensive, painstaking processes that are completed by hand. Incredibly, no two bikes will look the same due to the level of human touch involved. There’s no question that this bold, one-of-a-kind bike will stand out in any crowd.
“Whether cruising around the city or touring the country back roads, the 2018 Chieftain Elite delivers on its promise of being the best Bagger that money can buy,” said Reid Wilson, Senior Director – Marketing and Product Planning for Indian Motorcycle. “This bike was born to turn heads and provide an unmatched riding experience with all of the premium amenities included.”
The 2018 Chieftain Elite has a commanding stance that’s punctuated by its 19-inch, 10-spoke, contrast-cut front wheel and marbled graphics package. It’s equipped with premium features, including a 200-Watt premium audio system, Pathfinder LED headlight and driving lights, a push-button power flare windshield, billet aluminum Select Driver and Passenger Floorboards, and genuine leather seats. New for this year’s Chieftain Elite are pinnacle mirrors and updated, smaller hand controls for improved ergonomics.
- Type: Thunder Stroke 111 49-degree V-twin
- Displacement: 116 cubic inches (1811cc)
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Fueling: Closed-loop EFI w/ 54mm throttle body
- Valve train: Triple-cam pushrod, 2vpc
- Cooling: Air/oil
- Exhaust: Split dual exhaust w/ crossover
- Transmission 6-speed, constant mesh
- Clutch: Wet multi-plate
- Primary drive: Gear
- Final Drive: Belt
- Front Suspension: Non-adjustable 46mm fork; 4.7 inches of travel
- Rear Suspension: Air-adjustable shock; 4.5 inches of travel
- Front wheel: 19” x 3.5”
- Rear wheel: 16” x 5.0”
- Front tire: 130/60 x 19; Dunlop American Elite
- Rear tire: 180/60 x 16; Dunlop Elite 3 Multi-Compound
- Front brakes: 300mm floating rotors w/ 4-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 300mm floating rotor w/ 2-piston caliper
- ABS: Standard
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 65.7 inches
- Rake: 25 degrees
- Trail: 5.9 inches
- Seat height: 26 inches
- Fuel capacity 5.5 gallons
- Dry weight: 823 pounds